VCSST Student Internship and Shadowing Program (temporarily on hold due to COVID-19 pandemic)
VCSST offers this program to college undergraduate students and high school students with a genuine interest in pursuing the physical therapy profession as a potential career path. This selective opportunity seeks to serve individuals who wish to explore a career in physical therapy by providing exposure in the outpatient orthopedic clinical setting. This is an unpaid internship, but will provide you with valuable experience and an understanding of the personal and professional skills needed. Admissions requirements for DPT Programs are extremely competitive and experience in a variety of clinical settings demonstrates sincere commitment. We sincerely hope this experience provides you with relevant information for the outpatient PT setting to help you decide if a career in physical therapy is the right career choice for you.
- Promote interpersonal and professional skills necessary to be a member of a health care team
- Exposure to all aspects of patient care and treatment in a clinical setting
- Introduction to exercise theory and correct exercise techniques
- Gain familiarity with therapeutic equipment, devices and dosed-pulley systems
- Observe formal Initial Evaluation process by DPT
- Observe treatment techniques with opportunities to ask questions
- Sport-Specific Exercise plan development
- Observe Post Rehab Exercise Program development by Exercise Physiologist
- Training in ancillary clinic operations
- Learn how physical therapy can positively impact the lives of others
College undergraduate students preferred but high school students will be considered on an individual basis. Upon review, candidates may be contacted to schedule an interview for potential placement.